Thursday, August 28, 2008

Singapore Chief Justice on Golf

Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong speaking at the welcome dinner of the inaugural ASEAN Law Association Judicial Cooperation Programme, 12 August 2006 -

I don’t play golf and so [I] have no understanding whatsoever of the passion that impels avid golfers to forever seek the perfect game, sometimes thousands of miles away from home to play at classic golf courses. I am also told that golf is a very self-directed game, in that a golfer does not compete with another golfer, but with himself. I suppose that is why golfers, who blame fate for every untoward event in their lives, feel personally responsible when they make a hole in one. I am also told that golf provides a good testing ground in civility and good manners. In primitive society, when native tribes beat the ground with clubs and yell, it is called witchcraft; in civilised society it is called golf.

Afterthought:

1. I really like the comparison made between witchcraft and golf here. How times have changed indeed.

2. This blog will now carry a new section called "Quotable". This section will feature quotes that I find in my daily life that has left an impression on me and which I feel is worth sharing on this space. If necessary, I will leave an 'afterthought' about the quote featured. All credit for the quotes should of course go to the respective authors.

Happiness,
Dharmendra Yadav

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this?

No comments: