Sunday, October 12, 2008

Why Kindness Exists

A diabetic orphan aged 12 was featured on television earlier today. His mother died of tuberculosis many years ago. He too had tuberculosis but has now recovered. His father abandoned his sister and him. The responsibility of caring for them fell on his grandmother. Unfortunately, she had to leave them in an orphanage and died some years later.

The feature saddened me. I asked a friend, "Why is God not good to everyone?"

My friend replied, "Because if he's good to everyone, then kindness can't exist."

Many of my friends and I are blessed. We lead happy and healthy lives. We have had a good education and are now sowing its benefits. All in all, the world has given us a lot that we can be grateful for.

Yet, I am surprised by some who feel that what they have received is not enough. They are bent on chalking up more of the material deliverables that society has to offer. Nothing wrong with that. But I hope they can give as they take.

I think it is important that we should be kind to others, especially those in need.

Two of my former bosses did not fail to share an important lesson with me. They said in quite similar terms that it is important to give, give and give. Their rationale being that the more you give, the more you will get back.

In the years that have passed, I have had many opportunities to help others. I have found those opportunities highly rewarding as much as the rewards cannot be defined materially. Nonetheless, I can add that these opportunities have taken me to new highs on my personal satisfaction index.

Kindness exists because some are more blessed than others. Kindness exists when we share and be good to others. Go on then, be good!

Happiness,
Dharmendra Yadav

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this?

No comments: