Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Help AWARE raise funds

I have been following developments in the AWARE saga from a distance, unlike other members of the legal fraternity. A non-exhaustive list of articles following this development is available here. Many, including the Honourable Nominated Member of Parliament Siew Kum Hong, have written about the lessons that we can draw out from this experience.

I have been particularly disturbed by the $90,000 spent by AWARE in the short period that its past executive committee was in power. I hope that this expenditure will be looked into by AWARE and more information will be shared about it with AWARE members. I also hope steps will be taken by the current executive committee to recover the money spent, either through legal action (if so advised by AWARE's lawyers) or other fund-raising activities.

In the same vein, I was particularly pleased to learn that a Singapore company, Archer Marketing & Development (S) Pte Ltd, has launched a special website, Printeet.com, to help AWARE raise some funds.

Initially, I was concerned about the credibility of the payment system on this website and whether the funds would eventually go to AWARE. I spoke to Dionis of Printeet.com today and sought to clarify these matters.

I have learnt that:
a. payments are being accepted by Paypal; and
b. buyers do not need to have or create an account to make purchases at Printeet.com; and
c. about 70% of profits from the sale of AWARESG t-shirts or $7 from the sale of each t-shirt will go to AWARE; and
d. Printeet.com will be providing a statement disclosing details of its donations to AWARE.

Having received this clarification, I feel assured enough to buy a t-shirt at Printeet.com. I hope others will consider doing the same too.

Let's help AWARE to recoup its losses and raise some funds to continue its good work in the community.

Happiness,
Dharmendra Yadav

Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this?

No comments: